Sunday, July 17, 2011

Did I just really do that? -caution: long entry

So this little event happened over a week ago, and I have put off writing it because of my extreme shamefulness. It is one of those things that you read about happening to some other parent, but not to you, because you're always paying such close attention. Well, lada frickn' da! I did it. I locked my son in the car. Yes, I said it. There you go. We were leaving the mall, after spending about an hour in the kid play area, and unlocked the car as normal. Now since it is so hot here in Arizona I normally open the back door, Carter get's in happily and he stands on the seat and plays with the ceiling light switch or bounces on the chair, while I close the door - open the front, and turn the car to start the AC full blast. This starts the process of cooling my 100+F car off while I get him properly strapped into his car-seat. Well, he decided to climb up into the passenger side for some reason and was quite proud of himself for maneuvering so easily up there. I had my driver door open, but for some reason had hit the lock button on my key chain. So I got in the driver seat, turned the car on, - had the door half way opened on my side, while I sat sideways in my driver seat -- we sat and played with the radio and AC and other gadgets for about 2 mins - he of course contently chill'n in the passenger side. After a few mins I said OK bud, time to get in the car seat, because we need to get home and make dinner. So I open my door back wide and get out, with the anticipation of going over to his side and grabbing him to put him in the back. Well, what did I do? I closed my door of course! The door....that...had...been LOCKED. Like all good car keychain buttons, it locked all the doors. Now, I am not a cussing girl. Never have been. But the first words that left my mouth were "Aw SH**"!!!! .... -- you can imagine my horror. I now was out in the middle of a mall parking lot, with my kid -keys-phone.. everything, locked in my car. My husband is in CHINA, and not a person walking around to
flag down. Funny how my first instincts almost immediately after cussing were BREAK THE WINDOW IN, but thankfully my calmer side stepped in and reassured myself that was not a feasible answer. Carter was not crying, he was having fun in the front seat moving the AC knobs everywhere, but my mother instincts of my child being in a place that I cannot get too set off a trigger that said tear whatever it is apart and get to your baby! Haha...nature is funny sometimes... :) So I looked around, and against my normal quieter nature, jumped up and down and waved my arms and yelled to a lady on her cell phone about 40 cars away. I am sure she thought I was nuts....but thankfully she came over and dialed 911 for me. I know, 911 might sound a little extreme, but what else could I have done? Surely they would know how to open a car.... I was worried about Carter turning the AC to heat...or shifting the car into some gear, and getting down on the pedals... (just thinking about it sends a little shiver down my spine!)... A guy saw me flag down the lady and he came to see what was happening. He was nice and went and got a security lady for the mall that was driving around. The lady with the phone stayed with me, very nice person, and had 2 young children of her own at home with her mother. (oh great, I was taking up her *me* time...whoops! sorry) So after banging on the window a few times yelling at Carter not to touch that (gears) I went over to the passenger side to keep him there, and not to the driver side. He did not seem to think anything was wrong (thankfully), and was just having fun in the front seats.

So.... what do you think happened? How does this story end? Happily, of course. --- after talking with the security lady for a bit (who, of course, cannot open cars) I had been telling Carter to unlock the lock for some time, with no success. He is after all only 19 months old...but you know what? The next thing I know, I hear a POP...and the door was unlocked! I hurry and open up the door and scooped my little boy up in my arms. He of course was like "hey mom, what's up" and I was like holding him tight and so relived. Of course, no sooner did I pull him out of the car that the police man drives up. He took one look at my license plate, (which say's TENNESSEE) and said ...awwww. I understand now. (okay, he didn't say that, but he did make a comment about it) He asked how it happened, I gave him the quick 411, -he took my name, birthday date, and phone number and left. Which...not sure why he needed that. Haha!

Now, with my keys tightly clenched in my hand, I buckle Carter into his seat and set off for home. I felt like stopping and getting Carter and ice cream for being such a good boy through the whole scary ordeal, ...but I think it was more for me, since he had no clue anything was different. .... we just went straight home though. My mind still spinning with "what-if's"....

Okay, now I spilled the beans on my "horrible mother of the week" story. What is even worse is that most people think I look very young... like senior in high school, or at the most, 20/21 yrs old (I don't think I do!) So I always feel like I am starred at a lot when I have my little Carter toting around with me - and that I was some teen that got pregnant and now am trying to raise a child. Ha... seriously, I often feel that! When people find that I am closer to 30 years old than 20, and have been married for over 5 years they don't believe me. Oh well! I hope my "youthful looks" stay well into my senior years. :)

So, I have since learned after telling other parents my story, that many have done something similar - resulting in their child getting locked in. I know it happens, and perhaps if I didn't sit up in the front seat with him and play for a few mins I would not have forgotten that I had the door locked. It is a hard lesson, but one that will be remembered and applied. I have now changed our "getting in the car" routine, and I feel better about avoiding any future mishaps. :)

2 comments:

Shannon Hairr said...

Yup, I did it too! Caitlin was locked in the car in our garage in the middle of summer. Rusty was not at home and we had no spare key. She did freak out and was crying and did not understand why I wouldn't get her out. It broke my heart and I was a wreck! I had to call the police to get her out. It's definitely something you only do ONCE!

Unknown said...

Oh Ashley! How scary!! I am so paranoid about doing that. I hate going anywhere without Chris if I have our daughter along. Oh man. Well I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end!! You are definitely NOT a horrible mother. Accidents and mistakes happen.

PS. I get those looks too! People (at work) are always shocked to learn I'm not 20. I think it's because I'm Asian. I promise I'm in my mid-twenties and married almost 5 years. haha A was not conceived when I was 15! lol