Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Stand All Amazed

I wanted to share a sweet experience that I had last Thursday afternoon. I still get a big smile on my face whenever I think about it.

I have had a rough past 2 weeks at work with some very trying and difficult patients. Not only in their personality/attitude but especially the severity of their sleep Apnea. Last Wednesday was by far the worse of them all and I was worn out by morning. Don and I had planned to head to Montgomery, Alabama Friday for his niece, Madison's' Baptism. Since Don works out of town we had planned for me to get off of work Friday morning and we would meet up at the Chattanooga airport and from there take one car down to Alabama.
Well, with my extreme night Wednesday I was just dreading Thursday night and then having to take right off in the morning and drive. I got home Thursday morning and played with my cat then went to bed. Like always I prayed before I jumped in. I prayed to Heavenly Father that if it would be his will if he could have both my confirmed patients for that night cancel-- that I might be able to sleep and drive safely to meet up with Don on Friday. Nonetheless, if not I will survive and would, with his help get where I needed to go safely. I then jumped into bed and slept.

When I awoke I quickly checked my cell phone to see if the office had called and left a voice message informing me of cancelled patients and the night off. No calls. No messages.
I went out into the living room and sat on the floor and got my laptop out. A lot of times my manager or the scheduler would email me and let me know if I am called out for the evening. I checked. No emails about cancelling patients. No emails about the night off.
I will admit, I was a little bummed. I just sort of sat there and picked up a cat toy to throw for Tigger. I played with him for a sec, all the while still sitting on the ground with the laptop in my lap. I let out a big sigh and told Tigger that I guess I am working the night. (yes, I talk to him often since Don is not there haha). I then looked back at my computer and there was a new email. An email from Mrs. Moore, our scheduler. The email was short and plain. It said that both patients had cancelled for the night and that I had it off. I bursted into a combination of laughter and crying. I was so amazed! I praised and thanked God and sat there in awe. I then, of course, called Don right up and told him about the experience. I was so happy, and oh man what a testimony builder! It was just another confirmation that God really does know us, he truly hears and answers. He knows what we stand in need of and when. This was, as my mother likes to say, one of those tender mercies he often gives us. I could not help but feel so loved. It was a good reminder for me not only the power of pray, but of our personal relationships with Heavenly Father and Jesus. I jumped in the shower afterwards and sang at the top of my lungs the only song that was on my mind. The Hymn "I Stand All Amazed."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Ashley, that's amazing. :) Thank you for sharing that. Love you!

Lindsey Rose said...

That is so neat. we missed you guys this weekend! I hope you had a great time. Thanks for sharing this story, we all need those testimony builders and experiences like taht can only happen to those who are living right!