Okay all you seasoned mommies...any suggestions on what I should, or *MUST* pack in my bag to go to the hospital with? I am trying to get it all together.
I will posts some new stuff up soon. Don and I bought a camera for our "birthdays" and I am really wanting to go test it with all this pretty fall colors.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 comments:
Definately some socks, your own pillow, and snacks for the hubby (and you for that matter- hospital food is crap, and you don't want to spend a ton of money on eating out every day). Pack now- tomorrow could be to late! =)
You can wear the hospital gown the whole time you are there or you can bring a couple pj type outfits to lounge around in and be comfortable. Wear something that will be easy to breastfeed in. After one day in the hospital robe, I was ready to feel human again and put on my clothes. I wore sweatpants and comfy cotton tshirts.
pack whatever hygiene products you can't live without. Don't worry about pads...the hospital will give you plenty and you will want to use theirs...more absorbent. I even wore the mesh panty thing they give you so I didn't ruin my underwear. Bring a nursing bra or two.
pack outfit for him to go home in. They will have diapers and stuff for him. OH and take everything off the cart they wheel him in on. You've paid for it anyway so take it home with you (shampoo, comb, diapers, etc.)! You might want to pack some snacks. Don't know what your hospital cafeteria is like. Ours was pretty good but they only fed me so Ben had to go out and get some food but I had snacks packed in case he got hungry while he was visiting.
I packed a sudoku magazine and a couple other things to read...don't bother. The day of delivery I had so many visitors that I didn't need the other distractions. Same for the days after. I was so busy trying to learn how to breastfeed, relax and visit that I never even opened the magazines.
Let me know if you have more questions.
A taser for the people who annoy you:)
1. Snacks (for hubby, & for you after delivery)
2.comfy clothes (the hospital gowns just don't cut it after you're done)
3. basic hygiene stuff (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, hairbrush, lotion..you know the necessities.)
4. 2 outfits for him to come home in (just in case one is not warm enough, etc.)
5. a blanket (yeah, they give you one, but it is thin & might not be enough this time of year.
6. CAMERA
7. ID
Totally take what they give you. Even if you haven't opened it, they have already charged your for it once it comes into your room. I didn't take anything, including her blanket, Sitzbath, nothing only to find out I was supposed to!
I don't know how tall your baby will be but most of my friends the baby was wearing a preemie size outfit in the hospital b/c that is the only thing that would fit. We only had Newborn clothing so my friend brought me some preemie outfits as a gift, if they don't fit you can take them back just keep the tags on. Also, little gloves for their hands b/c they like to scratch their face alot. And nail clippers for you so you don't scratch them.
One thing that I did that helped alot was I packed a bag of things that I needed while I was in labor, like things to entertain me and things to help me while in labor like a tennis ball to rub on your back, chapstick, etc.
Then after the baby was born my hubby went out to the car to get the second bag which was all the things I would need after the baby was born. Clothes, etc.
You have to bring the carseat in later when the baby is ready to be taken home so I would just make sure that it is installed into the car properly and then go and get the carseat out of the base when you are ready to take the baby home.
Don't forget your camera and phone chargers!
That's all I can think of. So exciting! Oh, maybe you could bring the baby book and your journal so you can have people sign the book that visit and you can record your thoughts on how you felt, etc. : ) It's hard to remember all the little details once you leave the hospital.
Yup, need a car seat. You won't be able to take the little guy home without it! :)
Make sure you bring your own pillow. I didn't and so wished I had. Chapstick, toiletries like shampoo, conditioner, face wash and body wash. Don't forget your tooth brush/tooth paste and some hair ties.
You'll also want to take some of your own slippers. Oh and you'll want your camera and phone-- and charger. Don't forget that. :)
Make sure you pack somewhat early. I didn't pack till the very day I hit 37 weeks and two days later Aria was born and my bag was only a fourth of the way packed! lol Learn from my mistake, Ash!!
Also, don't forget to bring some clothes to go home in, for you and the baby. You'll want something comfy, like lounge/yoga pants. And I'm sure the hospital will provide you with some menstrual pads, but just in case you don't like what they offer, bring some of your own.
As far as his outfit goes... I took two for Aria. I took a bigger one and a smaller one because I wasn't sure how big/small she was going to be. Good thing I did because she was pretty small and the small sized onsie didn't even fit her.
Hm... I can't think of anything else but if I do, I'll definitely let you know!!
Oh and your first person said hospital food is crap... well, my hospital food wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. Besides, if your hospital is like mine, they won't let you eat anything too heavy (if you have a c-section). They'll put you on a special diet. Mine did at least.
Good luck! Can't wait to see the little guy! Love you!
Ashley, call me, I will give you some tips about TN hospitals! It is too long to write!
Well, I'm not sure what Lindsey means by TN hospitals, but I can tell you they are a lot better than AL hospitals! Definitely bring the baby book-with mine they took the book in when they did the footprints and did a set right in the book!
One thing I've noticed about the food-they always bring tea/coffee. You probably won't be there long enough to pick your menu (unless you have a C-section), so you might want to bring a couple drinks. You can get them from the nurse, but that's a hassle.
When you go home, you're stomach will still be bigger than usual so I always bring maternity pants to go home in. I always try to wear my own clothes as soon as possible, but they won't let you wear pants for a little while.
Take everything! As far as pads go-I bought the oversized, not thin ones. It'll be so heavy that the thin ones don't cut if for a while. But save them for when you get home-use what they give you first.
While at the hospital the nurses/doctors will want you to keep the baby in a t-shirt, so you won't need clothes until you go home. If you want the pix they take at the hospital-we never have-you'll want an outfit for that.
We need to go out for apps. & dessert again so we can tell you everything!
I guess every hospital is different. I got to have a menu book and for every meal I ordered specifically what I wanted, including drinks. So it depends on the hospitals cafeteria. A lot of the hospitals are going to the new system of using menus and letting the patients call in what they want. Maybe you'll get lucky and get to do this as well.
Wow, Everyone took care of what to pack so I will just give you other advice...be very careful on who you let visit you while your baby is in the hospital and at home. Sammy came down with menengitis and I believe it was because we like a billion visitors in the hospital. Even though your friends love you and want to visit you and your baby let them know in your own way that you appreciate their thoughts for you and the baby but to leave it at thoughts not actions. Babies can get really sick really easy from germs of other people, so be careful. and Good luck. Albert and I miss you and Don!
OKAY SO... I wish someone would have given me this advice before I had Tyson...
Hardly pack anything. Seriously!! But bring a huge mostly empty bag!! The hospital will have everything you need and more and tons of it. Also you can take it all with you. The nurse told me to (everyday) empty out all the goodies that are stored in the craddle's compartments, such as... little sample packs of diapers, wipes, diaper rash stuff, the little kimono style shirts, etc... basically everything except the blankets. (we took one blanket though). Also grab all the mommy goodies and this may sound gross but you will want and need them: huge massive pads, awesome mesh disposable panties, ice pack things, sqeeze water bottles and ask for extra packs of all of these. Now you see why you should bring a half empty bag with you :) I would only bring one maybe two special outfits for the baby: one for his hospital pic and one for going home, other than that you will LOVE the kimono shirts for convienience. I stayed in my hospital gown most of the time but if you think you'd be more comfy in a robe or something bring that. I didn't bring a lot of toiletries, just the basics and a powder compac and lipgloss to keep in the tray table for pictures. I also brought a cute blanket and hat for
Tyson. OH and ask for the free diaper bags... one from each: Enfamil, Similac, and Nestle... they have all kinds of good samples of creams and stuff! GOOD LUCK!!!
Thank You All For The Great Information and Advice!! I never thought of some of those things! :-) I am so excited!!!!
Ashley, a super comfortable nursing bra. I was so glad i had mine this week. After MUCH trial and error, this is the best comfortable (as in not necessarily flattering, but when you're at home or in bed) one: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/page.asp?ID=670&area=US
and a robe. and i just wore out what i wore in. i thought about your question while i was in the hospital this week, and that's all i could come up with. hope i'm not too late
Post a Comment