For as long as I can remember my father has taken a regimen of supplements. This morning routine consists of a variety of either milk or orange juice thrown into a blender with soyprotein and about 30+ pills (hard and gel capped). Yes. Mixed...Mixed ALL together. Now most pills don't have much of an odor to them ...only when you start throwing in fish oil, garlic and flaxseed as well as vegetable pills (along with a million other smelly fragrances) that you start creating not a supplement drink, but a gagging potion. Morning after morning, day after day my Dad has chugged these down. Only the slight eyes tearing and WHEWWW after its all done is present (note: small aftermath only achieved through many years of gag reflex practice.)
My father is turning 56 this Saturday. You would never know it -he looks incredible! Now, whether that is due to the years of supplements, or weekly/daily workouts, or maybe he is just aging well I will never know (most likely a combination of the first two). This I do know, that he will willing chock down his "drink" every morning to the day he dies. I am sure of that.
I have tried over the years to make supplement taking a habit. Tried...Failed..Tried..Failed. I FINALLY kicked it into high gear two weeks ago and have not missed a day. Dad made a nice list of stuff I should be taking and will add more...(eeek!) I work nights so I make this before I go and drink it there. I sadly admit I am a wuss - my nose and gag reflexes have yet to learn how to confront this...uhmmm special concoction. The first day I made the "drink" I threw it all together and then, thought, HEY I have some
yummy (*cough*) V8 drinks in the fridge. Lets pour one in there too and knock out my veggies for the day! ...Yeah, good thinking Ash. Great mixture if you want to keep Don cowered in a corner from the stench of your breath. Lets just say I only could finish half of this mixture and then felt sick all night. -Oh and lets not forget that in the blender those gel caps would be chopped all up, but still visible. Lets just say once you start feeling those slimy things on your tongue you gag...quickly!
I figured out how I can drink these with only a slight twitch. I throw in a scoop of vanilla ice cream and thawed strawberries (is this cheating?). Then, to be an even bigger wuss I open/cut all the gel caps and pour them in. It still hits the stomach hard, and the after taste is a cross between opossum -squirrel and dirt, but overall not bad. After two weeks I noticeably feel great! Don even asked to try some the other day. I had to check our health insurance first before I let him try some...just to make sure it covered hospital visits for involuntary gaging and hand curling. It did.... Drink Up Don!
So, Dad, I am trying to follow your example. If I can look like you do at 56 then it will be well worth it. Happy Birthday Dad! I know you don't read my blog, but if you by chance one day skim across this I hope you smile. Love you! xoxoxo
My Routine

I only take 29 right now...

One Scoop is NOT cheating!

Looks Yummy...until

All the delicious Pills are added

Mix Up Well (
magic bullet is wonderful!)

Contemplate...

Down it- quickly! (notice only slight wincing)

Try to hold it all in without too much gaging
AFTERMATH:

Opossum
+

Squirrel
+
Dirt

=
Weird Face

8 comments:
That is too funny. Good luck girl. I know he made me a little drink list and I went and wasted so much money to try to be healthy and blah blah blah you know. I definately could not tolerate it. I FAILED BIG TIME.
I love that we had a discussion about this the other night! You will forever be my hero after I heard about this, you are one tough gal. I really think that their is no challenge that you couldn't take on and complete! You are amazin! I can garuntee I will never try it so kuddos to you and keep it up!
Funny...so true. Your dad does look amazing for his age. I'm counting on all the perservatives in the junk food I eat to get me thru...love ya ...mom
over the lips --over the gums---look out stomache ----here it comes---hummmm then growling grumbling out it comes----ha ha good laxative-----road kill is an acquired taste. love dad
You are so funny! I am into to trying wierd healthy stuff. I would like to know exactly what you put in this concoction.
lol awesome. I hope you start to like it more and more. It doesn't sound too good though. I couldn't do it. Kudos! :-D
I have to tell you Ashley...I started taking just a multivitamin every night about a year ago...and I felt a huge invigoration after two weeks...you know, just in case you ever want to scale it down a bit. :)
YUCK!!!
Wow, that is intense. Perhaps I should stop complaining about taking one vitamin a day.
Post a Comment