Today my wonderful friend, Cleo-Patches passed away. She was my Great Dane whom we saved a few weeks after my 14th birthday. Cleo was a beautiful Harlequin Great Dane (black/white) that was born to champion parents. The issue with Cleo, however, was she was born with a lot of gray in her coat. This is a big flaw to champion breeders who try to keep the color pure black and white. The consequence is they put down puppies that are born this way in order to prevent passing that trait down. The owner happened to be a nurse who worked with my father and told him about the puppy. She did not want to put her down but really was pressured by the industry, and asked if we would like to have her in the condition that we never breed her (spay) and not to register her. Of course, being the soft hearted animal lovers my family is- we agreed without dispute. I picked up my cute little chubby girl weeks later after she was weaned and gave her the name of CleoPatches, because she was gorgeous with her gray swirling mixture and perfect patch markings around her eyes. She was a great companion through the years and we have many memories together. I am really going to miss you Cleo, such a good dog. She died peacefully at the farm, just a few weeks short of her 10th birthday. Great Danes life expectancy is maxed out around nine years. She did well. Good Girl, Cleo.
Cleo Facts:
Very smart- learned to sit, stay, speak, shake, and lay down on command.
Her tail could knock you over
Head was bigger than mine
Weighed 145lbs in the below photo
Very muscular due to running hills on the farm
Loved her belly to be rubbed
You could feel the ground vibrate when she ran
Loved to have baths at the horses wash rack
Best friends were Sandy, german shepard mix, and Itchy, beagle lab mix.
Cleo is survived in death by: Itchy, Sandy, Reba, Charcoal, Moroni, DeDe, Molly, Ghaali, Silver, Mr. Bingley, Sally, Kodak, Fizzcake, Tiger, Kusco, Lucky, Mirage, Hethcliff, Bebe, Oreo, and Fables.
(TN Summer 2005- Sandy, Itchy, Ashley, Cleo)
9 comments:
I just have to laugh at myself for included all the animals that are still living :-D
Losing an animal is sad! I am sorry about that, hopefully it was for the best! I too am laughing about you involviny all the surviving animals! It was a good addition.
So Sad. I'm always stopped from getting a pet (non-fish) because I know they'll die. Sounds like you guys had the perfect place for all those animals to live out happy lives.
Oh Ashley...I didn't even know that dog and I am crying...I love great danes so much more when their ears aren't clipped....I think I want one. It's too bad all of my kids are too big to ride one now. If I get a great dane, I will have to get another toddler to takea ride on his back :)
I am sorry for your dear doggy..that is so hard, but I can only imagine the fun he is having back as a young pup in doggy heaven.
Oh, and I love that photo of you...it is so perfect....just shows your sweetness perfectly.
And i absolutely LOVE the wedding photos down on your sidebar...the ones out on the farm....gorgeous!
I'm sorry about Cleo. My dog is almost 14 so we are expecting her to go soon now. Great Danes are cool dogs.
Well one of them is wrong. Oreo has moved in next door with the neighbors. They have adopted oreo and he stays at the house. I guess they traded Didi for Oreo.
I heard that Oreo was hanging out over there..-how funny-Oh well, the "pure-choloate-lab" is a good trade...or..is she? hehe :)
Post a Comment